Welcome to the WCSS
Wisconsin Council for the Social Studies
The Wisconsin Council for the Social Studies (WCSS) is a professional organization of social studies teachers. Its goals are to improve social studies teaching, develop the professional interests of social studies instructors, and cooperate with other organizations working for a better social understanding in the state, nation, and world. WCSS provides professional development opportunities, publications, and service to Wisconsin teachers. As an affiliate of the National Council for the Social Studies, WCSS is the professional organization for social educators in Wisconsin.
The primary mission of the WCSS is to promote social studies and the professional growth and development of educators which, in turn, will help young people develop the ability to make informed and reasoned decisions for the public good as citizens of a culturally diverse, democratic society in an interdependent world.
- Encourage PK-12 schools to offer Social Studies programs, activities, & experiences to all students each year.
- Supporting student-centered social studies programs.
- Disseminating Social Studies information.
- Advancing a sense of responsibility for the development of the public life of citizens.
- Fostering greater cooperation within the social studies community.
- Supporting links between social studies and the larger community.
- Bringing about a closer association with, and encouraging membership in, the National Council for the Social Studies (hereafter cited as the NCSS).
- Promoting integration between the social studies and other subjects in the curriculum.